As promised, this is my very first tutorial video on how to break down exam questions. I hope it is helpful.
Below is a list of the questions in the video:
1) A 35-year-old male client frequently brings up thoughts of death and violence to others. The MOST accurate indicator of impending harm to self or others is:
A. Reported motive for self harm and violence
B. A history of violence
C. Expression of a preferred method or plan
D. Excessive and extreme emotion
2) A school social worker meets with a 16-year-old student, who is a new mother of an infant child. The student wishes to return to school and complete her senior year on campus. The principal advises the student to consider staying at home until her child is older and recommended the student to take evening classes. The social worker should:
A. Help the student understand the principal’s concern and recommendation.
B. Meet with the principal and student to advocate on the student’s behalf
C. Bring the matter up to the school board
D. Help the student choose alternative school options.
3) Social worker meets with a 13 year-old female student who is a recent immigrant. The school encourages her to engage in extracurricular activities after school. The girl is concerned that her parents will not allow her to stay after school. The social worker should FIRST:
A. Educate the parents about the benefit of after school activities
B. Tell the student that extracurricular activities are beneficial
C. facilitate interactions with peers during school hours
D. encourage the student to join a support group
4) A social worker works with a female client who frequently failed to meet her work deadlines due to chronic problem with procrastination. During a therapy session, the client blamed the social worker for her failure. This statement is an example of:
5) A social worker meets with a client at an inpatient psychiatric unit. Although the client has been at the unit for five days, he continued to express active homicidal and suicidal ideation. The client has refused all treatment and expressed his plan to leave the facility if he is not discharged today. The social worker should NEXT:
A. Initiate an involuntary commitment process
B. Contact the family about the client’s plan to leave
C. Discuss with the client the likely consequences of this decision
D. Inform the treatment team of the client’s plan
Thanks for viewing and visiting the blog! Happy studying! Please leave me a comment if you have questions or any feedback. Thanks! 🙂
On your last question it does not say that the patient is “Formal Voluntary” or “Involuntary”. At this point making him “involuntary” would not permit him to leave as he would be a danger to the himself and the public.
Hi Jody. Thanks! Involuntary commitment would be a step, after the SW has made a reasonable effort to discuss the consequence with the client, and then consult with the treatment team, by then, the involuntary commitment may be initiated. It’s tricky.
This was very helpful! It was nice to work through each question and be able to think about why or why not. Also, ordering the possible choices when you have 2 left.
Thanks very much!
Thank you so much for all you do.it really helps
That was great thank you so much!!!
Chinh, I would really like to do your class tomorrow but I am I able to get the pay pal on my phone. Can I use the regular paypal to pay . Please send me you name and phone number thank you …Voile
Hi Voile, can you please send me an email? firstname.lastname@example.org
This was very informative. I really liked the way you stated to identify yourself in questions. Such as you are a school social worker, breaking down the questions, etc. This will help me as to know how to answer the questions correctly and not just from a general social work perspective but put myself in that actual clinic setting.
Hi Chinh, I really being to understand. I love the way you break it down the questions. I been through a few workshop yours is the best. I am looking forward your teaching more classes. I just want to say thank you for building my confidence studying
This was very helpful. I am going for my third attempt at the LMSW not giving up. Didn’t get a Master’s degree to not use it. You are awesome.
Thank you Chinh, This was great. It really helps me to understand what the question stem is asking; which I was having a tough time identifying. Setting up the questions to identify who you are, and what setting you are in, and deciding what the presenting problem is; all of these together helped to eliminate 2 and sometimes 3 of the wrong answers. Thank you again.
Thank you! If you are interested in a study program, please check out my 8-week course! 🙂
Thank you Chinh. Going over these questions we very helpful. Truly appreciate your blogs so far.
I cannot thank you enough for this! Breaking it down and how to use what is in the stem is VERY helpful!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
good tutorial. God bless