If you have taken a mock exam and are in the process of reviewing the questions, I have some suggestions for you.
When reviewing the questions you missed, Sort them into 3 categories:
- My reasoning skills need rework (thought process)
- I know this stuff, but I need to read more carefully
- Concepts I need to study or brush up on
What to do in each category?
- If you missed more on Category (1),
- Read the rationales and learn what the Board wants you to think.
- Reprocess your rationales until they click.
- I found it helpful to write down some “self-reminders”.
- For example, I used to write “When working with family, if substance is present, address substance first”.
- If you missed more on Category (2)
- Slow down and read carefully
- Break down the questions if needed.
- If you missed more on category (3),
- Study the concepts.
- Memorize them if needed.
When Reviewing the questions you answered correctly (yes, it helps to review them too!), do the following:
- If you see certain “key words”, you do/think this_______.
- For the questions you made a wild guess on and got it right, reflect on:
- I did not choose the other answers BECAUSE____?
- Did I trust my gut? In which situation should I trust my gut?
- I know this concept well, great!
- What helped me the most?
- What should I stick with?
I highly recommend purchasing a practice exam from the ASWB website. You will need to first register for the actual exam and have the authorization number. At this time, the practice exam costs $85.
I hope it helps! If you still have some time to prepare for the exam, I have started an 8-week Prep course for the LMSW & LCSW exams. Feel free to check it out at swtosw.teachable.com. Free Trial Version is available as well.